Auction for Cystic Fibrosis Victoria
Have you ever heard of the condition Cystic Fibrosis? Do you know someone with this condition?
Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is the most common life-threating genetic disorder in caucasians and affects one in every 2,500 live births in Australia. Currently there is no cure for this disease and the average life expectancy is around 38 years of age (an average meaning some people live longer than this and others loose their battle earlier than this).
The gene that causes CF, is responsible for making sure that the cells in our body which help secrete things such as mucous, sweat, tears and saliva, are well hydrated, so that they don't get too sticky. There are many organs in our bodies that rely on mucous to be hydrated such as: the lungs, our digestive system, our pancreas (it produces insulin, among other things), our nose and even our reproductive system.
In the lungs, if the mucous becomes too sticky, it can trap bacteria inside the lungs and cause chest infections, as well as swelling and scaring of the lungs (an irreversible process). In the digestive system, sticky mucous can cause blockages of the bowel. Organs such as the pancreas help aid digestion of important things such as fats and vitamins - blockages due to thick mucous can prevent the pancreas from working and cause issues with growth. The pancreas also helps to produce Insulin and people with CF can also develop CF related diabetes. Blockages of mucous in the reproductive system can result in fertility problems.
Treatment for CF commences at diagnosis, which in Australia, is usually on newborn screening (a heel prick when you are born). As there is no cure, treatment is aimed at slowing down the progression of the disease and can involve an intensive program of medications, food supplements and a diet high in fats, calories and protein, physiotherapy exercises - breathing exercises, nebulisers and physical activity and admissions to hospital to treat infections of the lungs.
People with CF usually need to travel to a major hospital at least four times a year to ensure monitoring of their disease progression, spend many hours of their day doing physiotherapy treatments, exercise, swallowing many tablets and they are encouraged to eat a lot of food. They also have lots of blood tests and other investigations such as X-rays and CT scans, . Services such as Cystic Fibrosis Victoria (CFV) aim to help decrease the financial and emotional burden that people and families with CF may experience throughout their journey with this disease.
CFV are a not for profit organisation that relies heavily on donations from the community to help provide much needed support with a range of services such as - advocacy for the condition, support groups, financial support for medical costs, physiotherapy equipment, gym memberships, research for CF, support for other members of the family who don't have CF and much more. You can read more about CFV here.
We want to help CFV out, so that they can continue providing support for people with CF. We have organised an auction over on Instagram to raise some money - the account is @wwt_auction_for_cfv (you can find the link here). The auction is starting tonight, the 4th July at 8pm AEST and will finish on the 5th July at 9pm AEST.
Here is a look at all of the bundles available:
Baby Boy Bundle #1 includes:
1. In Bed with Fred cot sheet set in the ‘paper, scissors, ROCK’ print. The sheet set includes a fitted sheet - 135 x 76 x 19cm, flat sheet - 150 x 125 cm, and pillow case - 73 x 48cm all packed up in a lovely carry bag (RRP $99)
2. Pax & Hart Sir Scout print - measures approx. 50 x 70cm (RRP $49.95)
3. Stitch and Shadow ‘Lion sleeps tonight’ banner - quote is hand stitched with black cotton thread onto a white cotton fabric and includes tassels and is hung from Tasmanian oak dowel rod using black and white bakers twine (RRP $34)
Baby Girl Bundle #1 includes:
1. Miya and Ma pink crepe head wrap (RRP $14) + $25 voucher to their etsy store
2. Moccs Made with Love $40 voucher to pick out your own little moccs.
3. Blue Daisy Wares 3-6 month liberty print tunic and matching bloomers (RRP $50)
Baby Bundle #1 includes:
1. Anarkid organic cotton Lasso baby gift set which includes Size 000 romper, beanie and bibdana (RRP $75).
2. Zilvi “Mummy Loves You Baby” mini plaque - a wooden plaque measuring 11cm x 14cm.
Boy Bundle #1 includes:
1. Macaroon Kids large, black Darth Vader cushion (RRP $59) and Darth Vader wall plaque (RRP $39)
2. Two Little Ducklings Strike the Day A4 print (RRP $19.95)
3. Mister. I B-A-N-A-N-A-S sweater in size 2/3 (RRP $42.95)
4. The Little Vikings Pray4Trax Necklace in blue with a lion (RRP $35)
Girl Bundle #1 includes:
1. Clip Pa Dee Clip hair clip bundle: lovely floral patterned hair clip board, three felt bows, two pixie bows and two large bows as pictured (RRP $57)
2. Bramwell Designs Fallin in love with me pillowcase - 100% organic cotton with handprinted hearts (RRP $45)
3. Flaming Pot I scream for donut crochet pillow and 2 minion crochet donuts with flavours of your choice (RRP $88).
Mama Bundle #1 includes:
1. Made by Frank washable paper clutch (RRP $30.00)
2. Pax & Hart Winnie print - measures approx. 50 x 70cm (RRP $49.95)
Baby Boy Bundle #2 includes:
1. Little Emperor Charcoal & Grey 100% organic cotton long sleeve tee in size 0 (RRP $29.95)
2. Oly & Fox organic leggings in the cross pattern in size 0 (RRP $24)
3. Noc Noc Wooden Toys Noli Noli retro wooden racing car (RRP $64)
Baby Girl Bundle #2 includes:
1. Poketto floral spot, vintage inspired sunsuit in size 6-12 months (RRP $45)
2. Little Scout Co. pair of handmade leather moccasins of your size and colour of choice (RRP $37) and set of 4 felt bows (RRP $15).
3. Pikanini 100% cotton Eden reversible bib. It has four strong fasteners to fit newborn to toddler (RRP $14.95).
Girl Bundle #2 includes:
1. Wild and Whimsical Things Maileg Bambi (RRP $63.95)
2. Pipla Signature spotty crown with adjustable hook and loop band (RRP $25)
3. Two Little Ducklings Cherry Fruit Face A4 print (RRP $19.95)
Mama Bundle #2 includes:
1. Two Little Ducklings Cactus A4 print (RRP $19.95). Please note frame isn’t included.
2. A small monogramed ‘A’ Cinque Candle Co. candle in peony + marshmallow scent and 2x hexagon marble coasters donated by the lovely Sienna + Me (RRP $29.90)
3. Zilvi mama bag tag with silver feather (RRP $25)
Baby Boy Bundle #3 includes:
1. Pikanini Max and Asa reversible 100% cotton bibs (RRP $14.95 per bib)
2. PaperKrane $50 voucher to purchase your own PaperKrane shoes when next preorder opens
3. Sienna + Me Monkey Madness harem trackies in size 0-3 months (RRP $40)
4. Two Little Ducklings Fox and Bear A4 prints (RRP $19.95 per print).
Baby Girl Bundle #3 includes:
1. Little Maggie Moo cotton bloomers and top knot headband - your choice of fabric that is available (RRP $39.00)
2. Chuck and Taz Snow Leopard standard sized pram liner (black on reverse) (RRP $62)
3. Two Little Ducklings Pineapple and Strawberry Fruit Face A4 prints (RRP $19.95 per print).
The Terms and Conditions are outlined below:
TERMS and CONDITIONS
All bidding will be done on the @wwt_auction_for_cfv Instagram account.
To bid on an item, please comment on the bundle image you wish to bid for with the pledged amount and your email address when the auction opens on the 4th July, 8pm AEST. There will be a minimum opening bid for each bundle. There are no restrictions in terms of increments for bids, just remember that it is for a good cause :)
The item will be sold to the highest bidder when the auction closes on the 5th July, 9pm AEST.
Winning bidders will be contacted via their nominated email address where payment will be organised (either by electronic bank transfer or PayPal invoice). Payments must be made by the 6th July, 2015. Once payments have cleared, the bundle products will be shipped to the winner. Some shops have elected to send there donations directly to the winner, so you may receive the bundle items in several different parcel deliveries. Please be aware that some items are handmade and may take some time to be prepared, while others have been specifically made for this event and will be ready to ship once the auction closes.
International bidders are welcome, but you will need to cover the extra shipping costs (we will arrange for the bundle items to be collected and sent as one delivery in this case). Please be aware that those wanting the bundle shipped Internationally, the items will need to be shipped from the individual shops to Wild and Whimsical Things and then forwarded onto the winner, so there may be a longer shipping time than normal. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know what bundle you were interested in to get a quote for shipping. Shipping within Australia is covered in the price of the bid.
In the event of a non payment, the next highest bidder will be contacted until the bundle is sold.
All proceeds will go directly to Cystic Fibrosis Victoria, so please dig deep and help out a wonderful cause that supports people and their families living with Cystic Fibrosis in Victoria.
All of the wonderful shops that have donated their time and beautiful products deserve some recognition for all of their hard work and generosity, so please show them some love by following along on their accounts.
This auction is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Instagram.
- Tags: Cystic Fibrosis
- Adrian Munro